Welcome to the very first episode of the Feels Like Home Podcast!
I’m chatting to Lusi Austin from That Homeschool Life about homeschooling through life’s challenges.
Her challenges have included (and still include) multiple chronic illnesses, neurodiversity, extended and unexpected renovations, and her husband working away.
Yet through all of the above she’s continued homeschooling her five children, and in this episode she shares her strategies for getting through the tough times.
- Some of the challenges in Lusi’s life
- Her five-area system for homeschooling for the long-term through all the ups and downs of life -Simplicity, Seasons of Life, Self-Care, Strategy and Spaces
- The importance of accepting and normalising challenges
- Why rhythms work better than routines
- Embracing the ebb and flow of life rather than grinding constantly
- Having a life and environment that supports learning, even when she’s bedbound
- Planning for realistic and sustainable self-care
- Having realistic expectations and giving yourself leeway
- Why Vegemite soup is OK!
OR you can listen on YouTube – follow the Feels Like Home playlist here.
Lusi’s Summit Workshops
2020 Workshops – Navigating Neurodiversity, Responding to THOSE comments.
Bonus sessions – Intentional Self-Care, The 4Cs – Creating your Homeschool Focus
2021 Workshops – Homeschooling with Chronic Illness, Chatting with my Homeschooled Teens, Engaging Reluctant Writers
Lusi’s free homeschooling template pack
Seasons of a Mother’s Heart – Sally Clarkson (out of print)
Focus on things that you can actually control, rather than being swallowed up by what you can’t control – Lusi Austin
Coming soon! I gave it to my daughter to transcribe at the last minute and she has a huge anatomy and physiology assignment due – definitely not good planning.
So wonderful listening to you two share your experiences. I agree, Lusi has such a reassuring and calming presence, thanks for inviting her along to be your first guest, Kelly!